Wednesday, February 3, 2010

This is why I love MOPS!!

Montessori. I thought I knew enough about the philosophies behind the program/school/etc. to pass judgement that it wasn't for us... Boy was I wrong!! Now, I'm not saying I'm pulling my kids out of private school to enroll them in the Montessori program... But I am saying there is a LOT of good to be learned from the method that fits into Christ-centered parenting!! It really was inspirational...

#1: Never do for your child what they can do for themselves... (thought I already knew that, and was doing that.... but it never hurts to see what others are doing... and challenge yourself in a new way!!)

#2: Toy Bins are EVIL (well, not her words exactly... that is my paraphrase) But the idea behind toy bins is not conducive to the way a child works... a FEW toys on shelves provides a much better play area. They learn to be more imaginative with the toys they do have... and easier to teach them that each thing has it's own "spot."

#3: As children learn the responsibility, they can be allowed more freedom... When they can pick up toys after they are done playing, they can play with something else.

So I came home INSPIRED!!

I was ready to tear into the girl's bedroom & toy bin in the family room in the basement!! But I had to get grociers and then hockey.... So this morning I began!! What fun!!

I should have taken "before" and "after" pictures... but who wants to see our big mess??


The new closet, now with toys shelves where Liv can easily reach items. The clothes are OK on the middle row for me because Liv doesn't pick out her own clothes, and Anika can reach the clothes easily with our little step stool. The highest shelf has the girls keepsake boxes, the girls games, and other itmes Liv cannot have access too without mommy supervision. These toys were previoulsy tossed into one of 4 different toy bins (along with many, many others. These were the only ones I ever saw ANY of the kids playing with... so why keep the rest?? I purged out 2 garbage sacks of junk, and 2 garbage sacks of donate-able stuff!! There is still toys in our family room downstairs... and a whole bin of American Girls clothes and accessories under the bed...



These dress up clothes, and small basket full of "accesories" used to be in a huge tub... it was a struggle to have them put away... and real clothes kept dissappearing into the play clothes bin... Now they have a real "Closet" of clothes, much more like real life... with the doll & kitchen right there, it's almsot like a little play "house" in the closet!

This spool & yarn "snake" has been one of Liv's favorite toys... frankly I hadn't seen it in months. Now I know why... The pieces were in 3 different toy bins, in two different rooms!! Now it has a place, "just for it"... I'm hoping this will keep all of us on the road to keeping things where they belong! :) (starts with mom, right?! :)
Now he has a cute little basket to live in...

And his own little spot on the shelf! :)

Last but not least -- the Hair Pretties... With two growing girls, we have a plethora of Hair and misc. accessories !!!

I have found 101 uses for these shoe organizers... this one came from Target for $8.


Each variet of hair do-dads has their own pocket...


Combs, brushes, etc. each have their own place



as well as the detangler spray !

Liv loves her doll, and got busy "taking care of her" while I was cleaning the room... Note the pink bean bag under her head for a "pilllow" :) Now I just have to convince her that baby doesn't need to take a nap in the middle of the hall?!!! She has a perfectly good crib in her room... but will she put her in there.... noooooo....

1 comment:

Aaron, Angie, Hailey, Lexi, and Jacob said...

Very nice! I've been in the process of de-cluttering stuff at our place, too. If you ever feel like you REALLY want to do more organizing, I have just the place for you!! ;)