Thursday, January 14, 2010

Wow how the time flies!

I think adding a blackberry was just one electronic device too many for this stay-at-home mommie.

Just watched an episode of Oprah, "A Family Striped Down." Whatever else you think about the big "o" (I don't agree with her stance on faith or politics) the woman does know how to produce a thought provoking relevant TV show.

The premise was a family that spent so much time using the best of technology (to make thier lives easier... better(?)... and more fulfilled) and the result was a family that was disconnected from each other...

They didn't know how to BE where ever they were....

Wow... was I convicted.

When I'm driving home with a car full of kids and I spend the whole drive on the cell phone just so I don't have to listen to the constant chatter... what am I missing? (A LOT!! 4th graders have plenty of gossip to catch up on!)

When we get home the TV and the computer are the first two places occupied by someone... instead of talking to each other... and finding out how our day went.

I'm more aware, so now I have the tools I need to make a change. I really didn't NEED a phone where I could check Facebook anywhere... anytime...

On the fip side, if I can get my "social web networking" done while washing the dishes (with said blackberry propped up on the kitchen window sill)... perhaps I'll be able to dedicate ALL my attention to my family from 4 to 8 p.m. in the evening.

I recently had a "mentoring" conversation (I'm the mentor... what is wrong with this picture) with a single parent in our church who is coping with the new situation of solo-parenting 4 young kids. The comment came up that there is NO TIME for anything other than the bare basics of life... especially when you have to take care of "issues" every 30 seconds. There was no time left for "quality time."

My suggestion was to plan ahead of time for every moment with the kids... to make a "schedule" (not necessarily drivien by the clock, but perhaps 1st:do this, 2nd: do that; and so forth)... I think perhaps I was supposed to get that message myself.

Those 4 precious hours each day after school with my family... have a plan set in place for what to do... Set "time" for the basics: chores, homework, eating, picking up, getting ready for bed.... MAKE "time" for the quality stuff: reading, praying, talking about life, loving each other, having a little fun together...

We all have the same amount of time -- the question is, what do we do with it?

New fav quote: The grass isn't greener on the other side; the grass is greener where you WATER it! :)

2 comments:

Aaron, Angie, Hailey, Lexi, and Jacob said...

I like that quote at the end! I might have to "steal" it and have it as my status on FB for the day. :) And yes, our techinically advanced society doesn't know how to interact with each other anymore. It's quite sad, but that's where we as parents need to step up and make sure we're interacting with our children like we should. They learn best by example!

BareFoot Finn said...

Thought Provoking. And, what a great quote!