Monday, September 28, 2009

Potty Training? ? Again...


Well, I should preface this discussion by saying this is Liv's first attempted at being potty trained... The rest of the family, who were effectively potty trained somwhere between 11 months and 3 years of age are all STILL potty trained. (thank you Jesus!)

So this is not a commentary on the woes of backsliding... this is a mommy who was very happy to have two children well past the age of potty training, and not really super excited about potty training the 3rd. It's been a very relaxed approach. We've tried staying in just panties (her, not me) for the time we are home each day (mornings through early afternoon).

It nearly always resulted in an accident.... thus a deep cleaning of whatever surface was desecrated. I'm no "kate" (from Jon and Kate Plus Eight)... it's doesn't cause me to throw her and the affected items in the trash -- just the washing machine. (Well, Kate didn't throw her kids in the trash either.)

Three days of potty training under our belts, and there have only been 3 real "accidents." I actually consider that good progress. She does have a diaper on for naps and overnights (of course... this isn't my first 'rodeo!').

Even if I have to reminder her, and take her to the bathroom about every 90 minutes, the effort is worth only using 1-2 diapers a day!! YEAH!!

Liv-isms:
After she ate a large supper recently she let out a noise from the bottom of her belly... and asked me "aat was at mommy?"... then followed quickly by "oh, I durped!"

Sitting on the counter, "helping" me make supper, she said
"Please" (holding up a bag of chips)
"No, we're going to eat supper soon"

"Please" (holding up a granola bar)
"No, we're going to eat supper soon"

"Please" (holding up an apple)
"No, we're going to eat supper soon"

"Please" (holding up a banana)
"No, we're going to eat supper soon"

I wondered how long this would go on before she would start to whine...

"Please" (holding up the box of toothpicks)
"ummmm... NO... but supper IS ready... Let's eat!)

1 comment:

BareFoot Finn said...

How cute! She is getting so big!

Just think, in a few short months, she will be 100% diaper free!

She is very persistent! I am not brave enough to let them in the kitchen while I cook...I have let them help me a few times, but I guess I need to work harder on that!