Tuesday, May 27, 2008

First Day of Summer!

We just got back from a GREAT weekend in the Badlands. I could go into endless details of all the fun... but I think I can say it all with the comment that we have probably created a new family tradition -- to spend a our first camping weekend of the season there. It's a wonderful campground with so many things for the kids to do while we 'grown ups' sit and relax. THANKS so much to Anne for letting us "in" on the best kept secret for camping in the Badlands!!

Even the weather was perfect -- the rain stopped the morning we left for the badlands, and started up again, mid-day on Monday as we were heading back home. The first weekend out in the camper went perfectly -- everyone was comfortable and warm -- slept very well all night, even baby Liv!

The only disappointment for Thor was when I said we probably wouldn't go back until next spring... he wants to go again next weekend!

Today was our first MOPS Family Adventure -- the scheduled trip to Bear Country. It actually started to SNOW as we drove away to meet the other moms!! Can you believe that, the last week of May!! It didn't really amount to much, but it was quite chilly -- so we didn't linger long on the walking portion of the trail. If it hadn't' been mostly a "car" trip (view the animals from your car) we probably wouldn't have gone.

I spent most of the rest of the afternoon working on our Family Summer Plan while Liv slept and Thor and Anika were busy (first quiet time, then chores, then played UNO together). Jeannie gave us a great idea at the last MOPS meeting -- to plan a set of goals for each child (and even ourselves) in the 4 major areas of life and growth: Intellectual, Physical, Social & Spiritual. She even made handy little charts for us to take home. There is an area to outline both Goals and Ideas (action steps).

I finished my charts for both Thor and Anika (first) which actually helped me to created our new Summer Daily Schedule with much more ease than I first expected.

I was also challenged by Jen G who had the idea of planning a TV-free summer... Sometimes it's so easy as moms to let the kids chill out and veg-out in front of the TV, now that they are home all day, every day... the TV is the new "school" or babysitter. It has been quite handy for me on days that I really need to get stuff done... but I realize it should be treated as a special event... not as a main-stay of our family activities.

So with those influences -- I have come up with the following plan...
Morrison Family Goals
Intellectual
Thor:(home)school time 3 times a week including Math worksheets (his teacher sent home the extra pages from their math workbook from this year); reading (to complete 3 chapter books this summer, 1 per month); typing (on-line).
Anika: early reader books; preschool worksheets; reading with mom; etc.

Physical:
- 60 minutes of exercise per day, 5 times a week (shouldn't be hard to complete... they both do this on their own most of the time between bike riding, playing soccer or street hockey, going swimming, etc.)

Social:
- a few bad habits we are going to work on together as mom/kids -- areas I've let slip a little behaviorally (just as much my fault as theirs!) We started a reward chart today. They will get 1 star for each 1/2 day he can get through without showing the behavior(s). After each 2nd star they will earn 1/2 hour of TV time. After 14 stars they can also invite a friend over to play for an afternoon.

Spiritual:
- Thor is so good about reading his Bible every day -- and both kids are great about remembering meal and nighttime prayers. To encourage spiritual growth I have given both kids a challenge to help them see they have a purpose and a calling, even as children. We have tried to do Family devotions a few times a week -- my plan is to continue this at least 3 times a week also. Included in that time will be our Family Serve-Like-Jesus-Challenge!

Each week I will ask them to be thinking of one way they can do something to show God's love to someone else; either a stranger, a family member or friend. Then I will do whatever I need to -- to help them complete the act of service. I'm hoping it will help them to see how being a Christian is more than just going to church and reading our Bibles... it's about the ACTION of LOVE -- LOVE is a VERB (to quote the DC Talk song!).

I have a few ideas -- like offering to do chores for Grandma and Grandpa; making a special card of "thanks" for one of thier Sunday School teachers (or ??); bringing a gift (home baked goodies, or ?) to someone who could use some encouragement. Packing up toys or clothes to donate to the Boys Club; maybe even sending a care package to a child through a ministry like Christmas Child or one of our troops in Iraq? I guess I'll have to start looking for good opportunities, and let them choose!

Well -- I feel so "put-together!" Let's see how things are going a month from now?

No comments: