Monday, October 8, 2007

This was one BUSY week....

Let me give you a quick run down...
1. Sunday, Setember 30th - the official beginning of our new year of Kids Ministry at Dove. I planned a partially catered dinner of BBQed beef brisket (from the Texas State Line) and scalloped potatoes (me)... enough for our whole church family. We asked everyone else to bring salads and desserts. It turned out very well, having a cozy afternoon in the fellowship hall -- and more meat that anyone could or should eat!
It was also Zion Lutheran School's 50th Anniversary -- with a huge celebration at the school and potluck dinner after the morning service. With the event at Dove, it just didn't work out to be a part of the Zion celebration at all.... what a bummer! It seems like when we are busy, there are usualy two or more things we could/should be doing at the SAME time??

2. On Tuesday I had to be ready to be the guest speaker at MOPS, on the topic of quick and healthy meals. I had 6 different meals planned to demonstrate and cook during the 2 hour meeting... letting everyone taste as we cooked. It's always a really fun morning... but lots of prep work ahead of time, I don't want to waste time cutting 60 carrots, onions and potatoes ... so I tried to have most of that done ahead of time.
It was fun for me too -- I always love to cook, and sharing some of my ideas of what it takes to make a good meal is fun... I mostly try to help moms 'lighten up' about following recipes exactly... but to make them personalized, the way thier family would like to eat it... and of course, help out with nutritional information too.
We made Sweet Potato Biscuts, Honey Butter, Chicken Pot Pie, Campfire Stew (Mom Moeller's recipe), Wild Rice Soup, Cashew Chicken and an Italian Antipasto Platter (appitezer tray).

3. On Thurday, Friday and Saturday I worked on the 200 cheesecakes I had contracted to do for a local wedding (cupcake size). They were less work in some ways, becuase I didn't have to do the family decoration, or worry about stacking towers of cakes.... but on the other hand I had to piddle around with 200 of those little cupcakes!! All it all, they turned out (hopefully the wedding party liked them too)... and were deliverd by noon on Saturday!

Now I'm feeling much more FREE and ready to tackle quite a few NORMAL weeks, with no extra projects... that is .... after I finish one last project .... speaking for MOPS in Spearfish! No cooking this time, just a regular guest speaker!

The one highlight of my week was getting to spend the money I made making the cupcake wedding cakes... I "finished" out my silverware service (now for 12 place settings)... the Fjord Design, Kristen pattern. I can only get it at the House of Scandinavia here in town... or on the internet. The local shop owners are very local-minded, and I love to support thier business. We came in with cash in hand on Saturday afternoon, and she still gave us a great deal anyway -- taking 15 percent of the normal price, even though there isn't supposed to be a sale going on! How sweet she is! Now I REALLY want to go back and buy from here every time!
Here is a pic of the silverward (from the internet).... still my favorite, after 10 years of looking!


Let me just give you

No comments: